22 January 2007

in kyiv for language and medical

Well.

Taught for three days, in between holidays and being sick from jetlag—that shit makes me nauseous. My students are pretty much the same as before, but I think I’m learning how to cope. In America, we have our discipline system. It’s a rule-goverened kind of affair. Here, it’s more about yelling. I don’t yell. I don’t like to yell. I’m an inside voice kind of guy. So I leave it up to the headmistress of each class. This is something that I didn’t try this year, but have already employed this year. Behvavior gets reported to the headmistress and then the yelling starts. I’ve never found yelling effective, but nothing I did last year worked out in the class as far as discipline went. I know it’s a cop out, but as long as I’m not the one yelling….

Headed to kyiv tonight (well, will be in kyiv by the time I post this) for mid-service medical training and language training. Will get to see all of our friends who live in various other parts of the country. I’ve made a plan with myself to only drink juice. Juice only. We’ll see how it goes.

Being in America gave me a sense of calm. Being here, I haven’t descended into the frustration et all that I felt last year. Of course, it’s only been a week.

Walked a friend to the train station a few days ago. We went out at 530am. It was dark. Three boys followed us—and when I say followed, I really just mean they were walking in the same direction that we were. But the pursuit made me remember how dark this country is at night. There isn’t much in the way of street lights. It wasn’t the safest walk ever walked, and I’m glad I didn’t let my friend go alone. In the train station, I waited for my other friend, who was coming in on a train from kyiv. I wasn’t gonna walk home alone.

I can't believe it's almost been a year since the last langauge refrsher Karen attended. Man, we had a lot of fun then, which was nice after coming back from my gma's funeral last year. God, I can't beieve that was a year ago. We're gonna be outta here before we even realize.

Jeez, it's almost February!

No comments: